The Music of Bob Dylan & The Band, and "The Old, Weird America"
Using Greil Marcus’ book THE OLD, WEIRD AMERICA as a touchstone, THE BASEMENT TAPES PROJECT explores the mysterious underground recordings made by Bob Dylan and The Band in 1967. The project has been programmed to wide acclaim at a major national venues, including Lincoln Center’s “American Songbook” series, the Steppenwolf Theatre’s “Traffic Jam”; and at The Flynn Center in Burlington, VT.
"I've produced over 100 concerts over the past dozen years. Howard Fishman's Basement Tapes Project show was — hands down — one of the greatest single performances I've hosted at my venue. In fact, it was one of the greatest performances I've seen in my life." - Carter Smith, Common Ground Concerts
"Fishman, much like Dylan himself, is loath to tarry very long in any one particular neck of the musical woods. Something of a sonic Zelig, Fishman works backward to get to the root of Dylan's source material, rather than attempting to drag the rustic songs into the 21st century." - David Sprague, VARIETY
"Not a tribute...Aside from offering public performances of music that Dylan refuses to release, it presents an important critical lesson about Dylan's past-into-present musical relationship with The Band while using the songs themselves more as suggestions than scripts." - Grayson Currin, INDY WEEK
"Beautiful and ethereal in a timeless way." Brett Sigurdson, BURLINGTON WRITERS WORKSHOP
Top Pick in 2014-15 Season Preview by SEVEN DAYS (Burlington, VT)
"Musically powerful...blew me away." KEENE EQUINOX
* May 2006 (DEBUT): Joe's Pub at THE PUBLIC THEATER, New York City A three-night marathon performance of the complete "Basement Tapes."
* February 2007: Lincoln Center, American Songbook Series, New York City Feature presentation
* March 2007: Steppenwolf Theatre, Chicago, IL
* April 2008: Duke University, Durham, North Carolina (Three evening version)
* December 2008: Housing Works, NYC (With readings by: John Wesley Harding, Anthony DeCurtis and Alan Light)
* September 2009: CUNY Graduate Center, NYC (With Greil Marcus and John Corigliano)
* October 2013: Mercyhurst Institute, Erie, PA
* March 2014: Common Ground Community Concerts, Dobbs Ferry, NY
* November 2014: Redfern Performing Arts Center, Keene, NH (Review from The Keene Equinox)
* April 2015: Temple Theater, Des Moines Performing Arts, IA
* April 2015: Hancher Auditorium, Iowa City, IA
Yea! Heavy and A Bottle Of Bread (Live at The FlynnSpace, Burlington, VT)
Down In The Flood (Live at HOUSING WORKS, New York City)
Panel Discussion with Greil Marcus and John Corigliano, with performance (Live at CUNY, New York City)